Sunday, December 2, 2012

100 Years! Part 2

With all the celebrations on Monday and Tuesday I was a little worried that Independence Day would just feel like more of the same but those fears quickly disappeared when I woke up to the lokal near my house blasting Xhamadani at 7 AM.  I got up and looked out my window and all anger that I felt at being so rudely awoken on a holiday disappeared as I saw people streaming into town from the villages.  Today was going to be a crazy day!  Throughout the day I had a few coffees with friends and teachers to celebrate but here is a rundown of the official celebrations.

9 AM - Flag Raising


The mayor raising the flag.


November 28th is the day that Ismail Qemali raised the Albanian flag in Vlore.  So naturally each town starts off their celebration with a symbolic raising of the flag.  

Noon - Fair on the Square

I'm still not completely sure what was going on at this time, but there were tables set up with drinks and food and circle dancing in the square.  



Kamber Dermyshi is Gramsh's patriot.  At some point during the day
they put flowers on his statue in the square.
Fun Fact: His Great Grandson is one of my students!

6 PM - Concert

The Independence Day Concert was by far the best concert I've seen here in Gramsh so far.  It had traditional songs, dances, children performing, old men performing, poetry and even one kid who rapped!  The wind started to pick up about half way through and ended up knocking down the backdrop and the rain followed shortly but the show continued and to my surprise, everyone stayed and watched.



You can't see it in the picture but they had ribbons hanging from their
sleeves so they looked like eagles.  Epic.





It all ended in Fireworks!!

If you're interested in seeing what celebrations looked like in other cities, BBC compiled pictures from around Albania.  Gëzuar 100 Vjet Pavarësi Shqiperi!

1 comment:

  1. Loved this.. but where is the snow? If I have to put up with it in Canada you have to too:)
    Okay it rained yesterday and its all gone- you're allowed..:)

    HUGGGGGGGGGGGG
    Linda

    ReplyDelete