Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Brownies and Cootie Catchers

This summer I've been holding an English Summer Course every Wednesday for middle school and high school students.  There have been three girls who have come to class every single week so to celebrate the end of the summer, I invited them over to my house to learn how to make Brownies and watch a movie.  Even though the main purpose of our meeting was fun, I still wanted to make it educational.  Luckily, recipes are a perfect way to practice commands.  So as each girl took turns following the steps I read aloud, the others wrote down my directions thereby making their own copy of the recipe to take home.

I'm a big believer in the idea that when learning a language it is just as important to learn about the culture as it is to learn grammar.  My whole summer course has been focused around this idea, with each lesson using themes like the 4th of July and American pop music to learn different language concepts.  So adding a lesson on American food seemed like a natural choice, especially since Albanians are always curious about what we eat in America.  And lets be honest...who doesn't love an excuse to eat Brownies for lunch!

My little bakers.

Most important step...licking the bowl!
Once the brownies were in the oven, we all sat down and watched Thor together.  Sorry to report Dad but I don't think the story translates into Shqip very well.  One of the girls saw the Cootie Catcher I made last week when the power was out and they were hooked instantly.  (By the way explaining the concept of Cooties is surprisingly difficult.  It also makes you realize how weird we were as kids.)  By the end of the day, I had a new friendship bracelet, 4 Cootie Catchers, and some new wall decorations.

Cootie Catchers!

Our finished product.

Some samplings of the art they made me to add to my
wall decorations.
I'm not quite sure if this is quite what the Peace Corps had in mind when they thought of PCVs sharing American culture but I couldn't imagine a better way to spend a hot summer day.  Plus I'm secretly hoping for the day that I'll pass kids playing on the street and overhear them yelling, "Ew, you have cooties!"

No comments:

Post a Comment